Guest Post: Broccoli Sausage CasseroleFriday, June 28, 2013
Hi readers! As you know, I'm on vacation (heading to Houston from Little Rock today!), so Lindsey from The Accidental Wallflower was awesome enough to stop by and share a recipe with you guys (and seriously, go check out her blog -- she's one of my faves!). -Alex
Hello GGGW readers! My name's Lindsey and I usually blog over at The Accidental Wallflower. I blog about everything from my everyday life to money saving tips to crafts. I have a lot of fun with TAW and I'd love for you to check it out!
With Alex being out of town, she asked me to put together a guest post for her. Today I'm going to share a new recipe I recently tried out, my Broccoli Sausage Casserole. This casserole is a variation of my Zucchini Casserole, which I adapted from another blogger's recipe. And if you're a parent, you'll be happy to know my one and a half year old son loved this meal. And he's kind of a picky eater, so that's saying something!
Here's what you'll need to make the casserole, which I usually serve as my main dish, but it'd work just as well on the side in smaller portions.
Broccoli Sausage Casserole
- 12 ounces broccoli florettes
- 8 ounces sausage, cut into quarter inch pieces (I used chicken sausage)
- 3/4 onion, chopped
- 8 ounces mushrooms, chopped
- 6 ounces fat free Greek yogurt
- 1/3 + 1/4 cup reduced fat shredded cheese (both cheddar and mozzarella work well)
- 2 tablespoons freeze dried garlic (fresh would also work)
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- Pinch of breadcrumbs (unpictured)
- PAM spray
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Combine onion, sausage, garlic and oregano in a skillet sprayed with PAM, cook until onions are soft, approx. 10-15 minutes on medium heat
- While onions are cooking, steam broccoli (mine steamed in the microwave for 3 minutes)
- When onions are soft, add mushrooms and steamed broccoli to skillet, cook for an additional 5 minutes
- Remove from heat and stir in Greek yogurt and 1/3 cup shredded cheese
- Spoon broccoli mixture into glass baking dish and top with breadcrumbs and 1/4 cup shredded cheese
- Bake for 25 minutes